Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Good Amaretto

I spent a couple of hours playing with lighting again yesterday. I shot about 80 photos and got about a dozen I liked. I definitely need more practice. The good news is, most of the errors I made were easily identified. I took some notes, did some research, and am ready to try again.

Last fall while taking pictures at the Threshers Reunion, I introduced myself to Bryon Houlgrave (see link at right for his blog). I remember him telling me that if I was serious about photography, I should invest in a DSLR. I am currently shooting with a Fujifilm FinePix SLR-like and have noticed more and more the limitation of my camera. I really do need to upgrade, but have a hard time justifying the cost when I just shoot for fun. I constantly bounce back and forth between committing a month's worth of my salary towards my hobby and putting my money towards 'needed' items. Exhibit A – My 1989 Buick La Saber verses my current photo gear. Together my camera and tripod alone are worth double the value of my car. Most people say I should invest in a car, I am not so sure.

As this great debate continues on inside my head, I will continue to be committed to learning all I can and taking advantage of the equipment I have.



Photo © by Allen Murray

1 Comments:

Blogger Bryon Houlgrave said...

Don't spend so much time fighting the battle of Camera vs. Car. I see that the DiSaronno has been broken into. Don't let the stress of it all cause you to drink. ;-)

AND, on that note, if you are a drinker, would it not make more sense to buy the camera? The new car is only inviting trouble.

Good choice of Amaretto, though.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home