Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Road Closed: Selective Coloring

(click photo to enlarge)


I am usually not a huge fan of selective coloring. I have seen more examples of attempts gone bad than well executed finished products involving this process. I was recently viewing the website of a portrait photographer who used selective coloring in several of her works. I think I learned a few things from her portfolio.

1.) Rarely does the manipulation of a poor quality photo result in a great finished product.

2.) When used, post-processing techniques should enhance the subject of the photo, not completely distract from it.

In what appears to be a senior portrait, the photographer converted an underexposed image to black and white, and then selectively colored various items in the photo. None of the items were related to the subject or tied into a theme. In another photo, selective coloring was used to place emphasis on an article of clothing representing a particular college. The photograph looked nice, and the use of post-processing tools was handled well. The image would have made a great promotional photo for a brochure. However, my attention was diverted from the graduating senior (who in my opinion should have been the primary subject) to the college logo.

Above is my attempt. Let me know what your thoughts are on the photo, as well as your feelings about the use of selective coloring and other Photoshop techniques.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maria's Photos said...

Allen, the almost horizontal boards with the yellow diagonal stripes lead the viewer directly to the Road Closed sign. The don't detract from the subject; rather, they highlight it. It's a great photo.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Maria's Photos said...

Hi Allen, You inspired me to try selective coloring on one of my photos. I posted it today. Check it out.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allen - I'm a portrait photographer, I have to tell you that in my opinion, selective coloring is more of a "seller" than anything else. I honestly don't like the way it looks, I think it's tacky and assuming. But I've posted several examples of it on my website (yes, I believe that was me) because for some reason, it's what "the masses" want. I can't TELL you how many requests I get from senior's mothers to highlight something. What can I say, it's trendy. I like your example though. I think you've avoided merely manipulating a poor quality image, as you say. A lot of your other work is lovely as well.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Allen Murray said...

Anonymous, thank you for your comments. I defiantly see where, as a portrait photographer, you are sometimes under the control of the subject being photographed (or even worse - their parent!!). I guess I can also see where selective coloring would be a marketing tool or “selling point” for certain types of photography. I try to stick to shooting candids, spot news, or selecting subjects that can't talk.

Again, thank you for your thoughts from a portrait photographer's point-of-view.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home